Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Orientation Days 2 & 3

Late post because I was exhausted by the time I came home last night. Anywayssss.  Yesterday was a blast!  We got up early and Lauren and I walked to the local convenient store to get some breakfast.  We came back, ate, met up with Natalia and then made our way to the University.  We had orientation from 10:00 to 3:30 with an hour break for lunch.  We learned about sorting garbage in Nagoya (very difficult/annoying but important) and got lectured on perverts and panty snatchers.  Apparently you have to hide your lingerie when hanging it out to dry between towels and such or it gets snagged. >.<  Funny, but true.  After that we learned about signing up for classes then came home.


At 6:30, we met with our landlord, Yogo-san, for dinner with his wife.  It was wonderful.  All of us tenants walked with Yogo-san to an authentic Japanese restaurant.  You know, the kind where you sit on cushions and don't wear shoes (except for the toilet slippers for when you walk to the bathroom).  I ended up sitting between Natalia and Yogo-san, and Lauren between Natalia and Yogo-san's wife.  When we sat down, there were three covered bowls sitting on burners on the table.  I thought they might have rice or something in them.

Outside of Restaurant

Our table!

What could be inside?
Shortly after we ordered our drinks, the waitress turned all three burners on and delivered our appetizers.  Edamame and salad with ranch dressing.  After eating the salad & soy beans, she brought out fried chicken breast chunks.  After we finished all these appetizers, she turned the burners down and took the lids off the bowls.  They were filled with some sort of kimchi soup and it was DELICIOUS! Huge chunks of tofu, meat balls, onion, mushrooms, cabbage. Om nom nom.  We also got lots of food after that, noodles of some sort, and okonomiyaki!
Amazing kimchi soup stuff!!!

Noodles!
 After a while, Yogo-san noticed my drink was empty and grabbed my glass and proceeded to shove a beer menu in my face.  After having watched Lauren and Yogo-san's wife about 15 minutes earlier, I knew that he would not take no for an answer.  So I ordered some Umi-Sawa, which was a soda-y beer type drink.  It was okay.  After I finished that, he once again stole my glass and handed me the menu.  This time I ordered what he and the two girls sitting across from us were drinking.  Turns out is was a plum liquor, and it was delicious.  We sat and drank and talked in broken Japanese/English/Chinese and had an amazing night.  I must say, it was wonderful and I won't be forgetting it anytime soon.

Lori-chan & Nat-chan!


Yogo-san!




As for today, it was as crappy as yesterday was wonderful.

I woke up with a headache, did miserably on my placement tests, endured orientation and scheduling, all the while trying not to get sick from my migraine before coming home and getting sick then laying in bed for a few hours.  I'm awake and feeling better.  I also finally got my ATM card to work today and was able to get some much needed cash out and was able to buy some food.  Unfortunately, I have no clue how to make anything or read the instructions to make anything more difficult than ramen, so I bought 2 apples, a jello snack with peaches in it, Coca-Cola, and some pringles.  I also bought a little bento from the convenient store for dinner.  I have no idea what was in it, but it was really yummy!

As for my schedule, here you go!




<3 Toodles

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feling better and at least got something in your belly! If you want, I can send you some Mac&Cheese or some boxed stuff to keep in your apartment. Let me know. Love and miss you bunches! Mom

    ReplyDelete