Monday, March 14, 2011

Steve's Departure

It's been a while since my last post, but, honestly, not much has been going on in regards to preparation for Japan; other than watching the news.  I pray every chance I get for those affected by the earthquake, aftershocks, tsunami and the nuclear plant problems in Japan right now.  We were really worried that this would postpone our departure, but Nagoya is far enough away that we've been told to continue with our current plans.  Steve even left early this morning and should be landing in Tokyo in 8 hours or so.  I miss him already.

Steve leaving meant lotssss of running around to get him ready to go.  He got his Visa Thursday afternoon (boy, did he cut that close [also, I recieved mine a week or so ago, in case I forgot to mention it]) and bought a suitcase Saturday.  With buying his suitcase came packing. 

We found out from Steve's mother that rolling clothes is very space efficient.  Fold in the sleeves of shirts, fold shirt in half lenth-wise, then roll from the collar down as tightly as possible.  Fold pants in half, roll.  Do this with socks, shorts, etc.  It really WORKS!  We managed to pack what Steve thought was essential out of his wardrobe, and still had so much space left, we packed a couple more shirts, hoodies, pants, and his winter coat.  He still has space left over in his suitcase. 

From the looks of it Lauren and I will be allowed to bring 2-50lbs suitcases and a carry-on.  The downside, however, is the fact we have to carry our stuff to our rooms in Japan and there are no elevators.  So, the lighter the better it seems.

I'm really worried about the nuclear plants in Japan.  I really really hope they get everything under control before it adds to the already MASSIVE amount of damage to the country.  I hope that I get the chance to perhaps participate in some sort of relief program while I'm over there in order to help those in need.

That's all for today.  My check-list is pretty much non-existant right now.  I'm just waiting to get my "Yakkan Shoumei."  Got my visa. Got my prescriptions filled. Got everything mailed to Kinjo.  Oh, I'm also waiting for my laptop (again).  I got it back to find it wasn't completely repaired and had to mail it back in.  It reached the repair center Friday.  I hope I get it back before I leave.  In the meantime, I'm using Dad's when I get the opportunity.

Ta-ta for now. Take care. <3

4 comments:

  1. Did you decide that the best cellphone plan was getting the one you linked from Softbank? The prepaid with the Inkan? Cause that's the only thing left on my checklist, apart from getting some luggage. - And remember to bring 2 photographs too. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I researched it for about 6 hours. We'll be over there without phones for a week or two, but it's the cheapest and has $3 unlimited texts. Why 2 photos? Ugh. I'm sick of getting pictures taken. You should see my visa pic. It's scary looking. I was psat the point of caring and was just like, screw makeup and doing my hair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 photos for registration, it says. Probably our alien card? IDK. But yeah. I think the guy at CVS is tired of seeing me. I wonder if I can just cut my visa pictures down to size...

    ReplyDelete