Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New-ish Laptop

Well, My laptop took a nice little tumble down the stairs last week.  And was in for repairs.  I was positive they were going to replace the entire unit because it was a WRECK.  Surprisingly enough, I was wrong and instead they replaced my screen, web-cam, cd/dvd drive, hard drive, and the piece where you plug your cord in (it was loose).  Unfortunately, this means I have to completely re-configure my laptop, not fun.  I DESPISE Windows.  Really, DESPISE it.  Spending HOURS configuring it is going to give me a headache and put me in a horrible mood....but it needs done and I'm not quite confident enough to install Ubuntu 10.04 without Steve's assistance.  He is moving home from Morgantown, WV today, so I most likely won't get him over here to install Linux for me until tomorrow or later.  Ugh.
Reasons why Windows drives me insane.  
1)  It tries to keep EVERYTHING hidden and secretive so you can't adjust/customize most of it; with Linux, everything is customizable.  (AKA I can make everything PRETTY!!!)
2)  It's difficult to fix if anything goes wrong; with Linux, I can google my problem and usually have it fixed within the hour. 
3) All the crap that comes on a new install of the O/S.  I've spent the past two hours simply deleting worthless crap.  I can install Linux with only the applications (aka programs) I want.  
4) Updates.  Windows has been updating for over 2 hours now.  It's still not done.  I can install Linux in less than an hour and the longest it has ever taken to update in the past year I've been using it is 5 minutes.
5) Cost.  If I somehow mess up my O/S and need to restore/reinstall, I can't do that with Windows (unless I mail it in) because they refuse to give me an install disc without paying for it.  I can download Linux for free.  
Boyfriend,  Thank you so very much for introducing me to Linux.  I can only contemplate the number of headaches you prevented in the past year.  =)   And now I'm done with my Windows vs. Linux rant and moving onto Study Abroad stuff.

I finally got my IRCs (International Reply Coupons) in the mail yesterday and was able to send out my Yakkan Shoumei application.  Here's to hoping I get the Yakkan Shoumei BEFORE I leave for Japan.  Other than that, my to-do list has not changed and I need to get back to working on my laptop.  >.<  Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment